2003-2006 Ph.D, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
2001-2003 M. Phil., The Chinese University of Hong Kong
2000-2001 M. Sc. Student, Lanzhou University
1996-2000 B. Sc., Lanzhou University
2015-now Professor, Center for Combustion Energy, Department of Energy and Power Engineering, and Department of Engineering Mechanics, Tsinghua University
2013-2015 Associate Professor, Physics of Fluids Group, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Twente, the Netherlands
2009-2013 Assistant Professor, Physics of Fluids Group, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Twente, the Netherlands
2007-2009 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Physics of Fluids Group, Faculty of Science and Technology, University of Twente, the Netherlands
2006-2007 Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Physics Department, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
Other Professional Positions
Associate Editor of ‘International Journal of Multiphase Flow’
Governing board member of ‘ International Conference on Multiphase Flow’
Editor of ‘Journal of Turbulence’
Editorial Advisory Board of ‘Experiments in Fluids’
Member of the Editorial Board of ‘ Journal of Hydrodynamics’
Research Areas and Interests
My research interests lie in the field of experimental fluid mechanics. The current interests of research are as follows.
- Multiphase flows: particle-laden flows, bubbly flows, and drag reduction
- High-Reynolds-number turbulence: Taylor-Couette flow, thermal convection, and bubbly turbulence
- Bubbles and drops: droplet impact, droplet collision, and bubble dynamics
- Microfluidics: ultra-fast micro-jets/droplets and their applications
Honors and Awards
2020 Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS Fellow)
2019 Plenary Speaker, the 10th International Conference on Multiphase Flow, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May, 2019.
2015 Keynote Speaker, the 15th European Turbulence Conference (ETC15), Delft, the Netherlands
2014 VIDI Laureate, Young Talent Programme, Innovational Research Incentives Scheme, Dutch Science Foundation (NWO)
Books and Patents
Publications（ORCID: 0000-0002-0930-6343，Researcher ID: B-2743-2009）
Researcher ID link:https://publons.com/researcher/2869535/chao-sun/
1. H. Jiang, X. Zhu, D. Wang, S.G. Huisman, and C. Sun*, Supergravitational turbulent thermal convection, Science Advances (in press, 2020).
2. V. Mathai, D. Lohse andC. Sun*, Bubbly and Buoyant Particle–Laden Turbulent Flows, Annu. Rev. Condens. Matter Phys. 11, 529-559 (2020).
3. S. Liu, L. Jiang, K.L. Chong, X. Zhu, Z. Wan, R. Verzicco, R. Stevens, D. Lohse and C. Sun*,From Rayleigh-Benard convection to porous-media convection: how porosity affects heat transfer and flow structure,J. Fluid Mech. 895, A18 (2020).
4. B. Wang, Q. Zhou*, and C. Sun*,Vibration-induced boundary-layer destabilization achieves massive heat-transport enhancement,Science Advances 6, eaaz8239, (2020).
5. Z. Wang, V. Mathai, and C. Sun*, Self-sustained biphasic catalytic particle turbulence, Nature Communications 10, 3333 (2019); Covered by Nature Energy Highlight Section.
6. S. Lyu, V. Mathai, Y. Wang, B. Sobac, P. Colinet, D. Lohse, and C. Sun*, Final fate of a Leidenfrost drop: explosion or take-off, Science Advances, 5, eaav8081 (2019); Highlighted by Nature Reviews Physics.
7. H. Jang, X. Zhu, V. Mathai, X. Yang, R. Verzicco, D. Lohse, and C. Sun*, Convective heat transfer along ratchet surfaces in vertical natural convection, J. Fluid Mech. 873, 1055-1071 (2019).
8. H. Jiang, X. Zhu, V. Mathai, R. Verzicco, D. Lohse, and C. Sun*, Controlling heat transport and flow structures in thermal turbulence using ratchet surfaces, Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 044501 (2018).
9. X. Zhu, R. A. Verschoof, D. Bakhuis, S. G. Huisman, R. Verzicco, C. Sun*, and D. Lohse*, Wall roughness induces asymptotic ultimate turbulence, Nature Physics 14, 417-423 (2018).
10. S. Grossmann, D. Lohse*, and C. Sun*, High Reynolds Number Taylor-Couette Turbulence, Annu. Rev. Fluid Mech. 48, 53–80 (2016).